Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wedge Hills Lodge Outfitter Review

Date: Septebmer 8 - 14, 2009
Location: Northern Quebec
Species: Caribou
Outfitter - Wedge Hills Lodge




This was our first trip ever in pursuit of Caribou. One thing that I was looking for when I was researching outfitters was I wanted a true adventure. Well, that is what we got with Wedge Hills Lodge. I met several representatives from Wedge Hills Lodge at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, and after meeting them, I was impressed with their professionalism so decided to check their references.
map_wedgehills
Map of Location of Wedge Hills Lodge


After some research and phone calls to references I had made up my mind, we would book our trip with Wedge Hills Lodge in way up Northern Quebec! When I say way up, I mean way up. This would be a 22 hour car ride from northwest Pennsylvania to Sept-Iles Quebec, then a 12 hour train ride the following day and a 1 hour 45 minute float plan to camp.
train
Getting Ready To Board The Train
float plane
Almost time for the last leg of the journey.
When traveling on a trip this long, lots of things can go wrong. But I am happy to say that the trip couldn't have been more smooth and Wedge Hills Lodge was meticulous with all the arrangements including, hotels, flights and more. Most people who know me, know that I am a planner and leaving a trip like this up to the outfitter to make many of the plans was difficult for me. That being said, I couldn't have done it any better myself, all the arrangements were made and taken care of.

Lodging and Food
The lodging was very comfortable and with a five bedroom rustic cabin complete with a wood stove, refrigerator, hot water, electricity and more. We ate breakfast and dinner every night in the main lodge with the rest of the hunters. The food was fantastic and believe me when I say, when it came to the food, I didn't get cheated! Everything from chicken to filet mignon.
Lodging
Hunting
The hunting at Wedge Hills Lodge is on the George River and mostly done from boat. Guides take you up and down the river in very comfortable boats glassing the mountain sides for migrating caribou.
mountains
boat
The George River scenery is breathtaking with lots of caribou. We had the good fortune of timing the migration and seeing lots of caribou. Since the three of us hunting were fairly young and foolish, we wanted to get out of the boat and see the terrain. Our guide Joe was more than accommodating and dropped us off in promising locations.



scenery
glassing
I will let some of the following photos speak for themselves as the three of us brought home 4 caribou and could have easily brought home our limit of 6 with the rifle, but we were doing it the hard way with the bows. I personally harvested a giant white caribou that I am sure will be a trophy of a lifetime.

Jason Say Caribou
My first ever caribou

Rob McCoy's Caribou
Rob McCoy's awesome caribou

Kyle Caribou
Kyle's first caribou
Our trip with Wedge Hills Lodge was a fantastic experience and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for the adventure of a lifetime. The cook, guides, owner, camp manager were all more than accommodating and committed to our stay with them. You can visit them online at www.WedgeHillsLodge.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment