Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Clarion County 15 Point Buck

By Geary Buterbaugh, Knox PA


It was the 2nd day of Pa regular rifle season (12-2-08). My youngest son Shawn taken a 6 point buck on the morning of the first day. As for my hunt so far, I had seen 3 different bucks on the first day but I could not
tell if these were legal or I just couldn't get my gun on the deer in time to make a good shot. I had seen a very quick glimpse of this buck on the first day but I thought he was gone forever- possibly could be shot by
another hunter in the area.


As I thought about the day before, I kept focused on the woods in hopes to see a big buck. I knew of a 12 point with drop tines in the area. This was the buck I had hoped to see. The morning had passed. I was getting tired and a little frustrated since I did not see any deer at all. It was 12 noon, I decided to go back to my house for lunch. My son wanted a ride into town to visit a friend. I came home got back into my hunting gear and returned to the woods. It was now 1pm. Still no deer - my mind started to wander. I thought I seen something cross the right away. I focused on the next right away - did not see anything. I looked down and back up and about 70 yards away - a legal buck walking up through the thicket. I held my Remington 7600 30-06 gun on the next - small opening. When I seen hair in my redfield scope I squeezed the
trigger. Down the deer went. I seen the deer thrashing around- so I fired again -that time I missed clean. The deer didn't move so I waited about 5 minutes. This was the longest 5 minutes of my life while my heart was racing. I walked up to the deer at approx 2pm. The deer I thought was just a legal buck - was a huge 15 point with a 23 5/8 spread. I called everyone on my cell phone contact list! I have never had a big buck before. I never had a need to have one scored. I looked on the Pa Game commission web site - there was very few big bucks posted for Clarion County, Beaver Twp or in WMU 2D. This was truly my hunt of a lifetime!


Deer



Deer


Deer

No comments:

Post a Comment