Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Dream Came True

Mark Biter, New Enterprise, PA


After having 4 girls born in to our family and not very interested in hunting it was a shock, and the beginning of a dream when our son was born. In April of 1990, it all started. I had just bought a new Winchester model 1300 Wild Turkey Federation shotgun and was looking forward to using it and getting my first long beard.


That morning it was raining but that was not going to stop me. As I headed up the mountain I kept thinking about what might be in store for me this day. I think all turkey hunters dream of that big long beard strutting his way toward our calls.


After only a few minutes with my back against an old tree, I heard the sound all turkey hunters love to hear, a loud gobble. After a few calls on my mouth call, in came the gobbler. After walking to about 20 yards he stood there it seemed just waiting for me to shoot. As I ran to the bird, there it was, finally a long beard. He was 19 pounds with a 9-inch beard. I was so excited. As I was walking out of the woods I came across another hunter. He came over and congratulated me. I told him it was my first long beard and first turkey with this gun and I even got my first son just a few weeks ago. My statement to him may have seemed strange but to me it was something special.


Now this was my dream, to someday see another long beard taken, but this time by my son. As he grew I would share with him stories about hunting. We would lie on the floor in our den and say, tell me another story, and of course I would. But I longed for the time he would be old enough to get a license and hunt with me. Other long beards were to be mine in the following years but in the back of my mind was the day my son would be old enough to hunt turkey's with me. Finally, April 9, 2002, my son Mark turned 12. After completing the Hunter Safety course we went to the hardware store and bought his first license. Only a few days were left until the opening day of Spring Gobbler season. ворошиловский стрелок изнасилования


That morning finally arrived. As we drove to our hunting spot my mind went back 12 years ago when this moment was but a mere dream. After getting our gear together, we paused outside of our truck to thank the Lord for this special time together. We walked up the steep trail stopping every so often just listening for a gobble. After a couple of hours nothing was heard and we decided to move up to the next hollow. After a few calls, we heard what we had been waiting for. Not one but two gobblers answering our calls. I whispered to my son, if they both come in, you take the one on the left and I will take the one on the right. Only a few minutes went by until 2 big long beards appeared. My son followed his bird with his gun as I followed mine. I had told him I would not shoot until he does. The birds kept walking and I could not understand why he would not shoot. I slightly turned my head toward him and said "shoot", and he whispered, "Limb in the way" and before I could get my head back on my gun, BANG, went his Mossberg 20 gauge. My bird was on the way out of there but flopping on the ground out in front of us was my son's first gobbler. I will never forget hearing him shout, "I got him, Dad, I got him."


We both walked down to the gobbler and began to inspect the beautiful bird, noticing all the colors of his head and feathers. He was a nice gobbler with a beard of 9 inches, 1-inch spurs and weighing 18 pounds. My son gave me a hug and said "Thanks, Dad, for taking me turkey hunting". We stood there and bowed our heads and thanked the Lord for this special time. I was not to get a turkey that day, but I think I was happier that day than I was the day I got my first long beard.



Turkey


As I walked back to the truck with my son and his gobbler over his shoulder, I thought back to that day 12 years earlier and said, "My dream came true." I don't know but maybe in his dreams is the thought, someday I will take my son turkey hunting too. Why, the Lord willing, maybe I will be along for that hunt too.

No comments:

Post a Comment