Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My 8 Point Buck

By Shane Hutton, Clairton, PA

My name is Shane Hutton from Pittsburgh, PA. I am an avid outdoorsmen and more than anything love to hunt. I have been getting deer (doe) every year with the help of my father since I was 12 years old. Now hunting has become the thing that I look forward to the most all year, not Christmas, not birthdays, not summer. Hunting. Over the years being successful at bagging does with my rifle but only one buck in 11 years kinda turned me off of rifle hunting and put my passion into archery hunting. I think there were about 39 days in 2008 you could go archery with the pre-season for doe only in Allegheny county and I did a total of 36 sits. My friends joke and when someone asks me for directions and they say "Shane will get you there by trail". I have seen a lot of big buck around the city of Pittsburgh and have a lot of luck seeing them; but getting them is a different story. I missed and wounded so many deer I literally was about to give up on archery, when finally I got a doe, and then a small buck in 2007. Awesome year for me. With three years of bad, rainy, hot weather for opening day rifle season at my family camp I figured my only shot this year was archery and thought nothing of rifle season. That's why I put so much time in. Well I had a great archery year and seen a lot of different deer, wildlife, and neat things but couldn't get a shot at a nice buck. So I figured I better make the best of my rifle season. With low expectations I went to my archery spot and got my hanging tree stand that doesn't have a rest and took it down and brought it home. I then bought a piece of conduent pipe and a bender and some hooks and bent me a rest to put on the front of my hang-on stand. I took it to Elk county at my family camp and scouted the area and put it up in the tree. I seriously only go rifle hunting to spend time with my family, and get into the woods. Its such a great experience being there but I don't go expecting to see the things I do in archery season. Well all my hard work, perseverance, and dedication paid off this year because at 720am I had this giant 8 point walk within 30 yards of my stand and I dropped this  beauty with the first shot. I never expected this, and I was so happy.



We have about 10 people that live permanently up there and they along with a couple camps were looking at my deer all week. I was the biggest buck taken by far. This might not be a giant on a farm, or Canada but for a mountain deer its one of a kind. It was just a great experience, maybe once in a life time experience; and too see my hard work pay off I am just grateful, and happy. This is the only great buck I have ever got and surely could be my best ever. It scores in the 140 class, with 20''main beams,  a 19'' spread, and 4'' diameter main beams.

No comments:

Post a Comment