Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The First Day Of Rifle Season

by Brad Barkdoll

The first day of rifle season was one I had been wishing for. Not only was the sky clear, but the temperature was great, not to cold, but not hot enough for deer to slow down and not move as much.



Me and my dad, Danny, made our was across the open field in which to get to our 2 person stand. But as we came closer to where we enter the woods, the creek we need to cross is way to high for our boots to cross it. So our only other choice was to walk through the woods, right next to our stand and risk messing up the hunting for a portion of the day.

Once we finally got situated in the stand around 6am, we sat for around 2 hours with no signs of life coming from the woods. Another 3 hours went bywith a few sounds of cracking limbs, but nothing major to worry about. Not only was it a tad thick to see from our stand, but the night before, it had rained which made it hard to hear if anything was coming or going.



Finally, 10:30 came around. My dad and i were debating whether to stay in that stand, or switch to the other across the property. Then my dad took a quick turn to the left, and he kind of jumped, because there was an 8 point, about 25 yards away. He told me to get my gun up, but the brush was so thick, there was really only one place to shoot at him, around 60 yards away. So after about 3 minutes of watching the buck, he finally stopped right in a clearing. My dad hit a bleet call and the bucks head sprung right up. I aimed for the neck, fired, and watched this beautiful 8 point drop right right in front of me!

My dad and i were overjoyed, even cheering loud enough for our friend Jeff to radio us from across the property to ask whats going on over there.

For my first buck kill, i was so excited. But then again, my dad always joke at how i "set the standards high" for a first buck, and shouldn't expect anymore big ones like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment