Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Spring Lane Hunt Club Hosts First Annual PSP Retreat

For many months I struggled to come up with an event that would serve to entertain all our field staff members and moderators, who all have a wide variety of outdoor interests. After considering many different ideas, it was decided that a pheasant hunt would be a lot of fun and something that everyone would enjoy. Now all we had to do was find the best pheasant hunting operation available. As with all things at the Pennsylvania Sportsmen Portal, we don't cut corners and doing everything to the best of our ability, and this event was no different. This lead us straight to SPRING LANE HUNT CLUB.
Spring Lane Hunt Club
Upon arriving at Spring Lane I was greeted by this pheasant below trying to dry himself off in the field while is was pouring down rain. I knew this must be a good sign! I pulled into the farm and was greeted by J.D. Kelly's mother with a warm welcome. It was kind of funny as she took a long hard look at me in my shorts and flip flops and said, "I hope you brought some other clothes for hunting because I don't think we have anything that will fit you." I assured her that I did, but when I travel, I like to be comfortable.
Greeter Bird
I knew it was going to be a great time when I was greeted by this guy when pulling in for the first time at Spring Lane Hunt Club
A pheasant hunt was something new for me and it was more important for me personally to find an operation that would not only provide a great experience, but cater to some of our unique needs. The entire field staff would be coming in on Friday night to take care of some PSP business, so we would all need a place to stay. All I can really say about the accomodations is they were absoutely perfect. In fact, we all commented that they were almost too nice for our rag tag group of guys and gal! They have two different houses that we stayed in with everything we needed. The description on their website does it much more justice than I can.
"We have two Beautiful Limestone houses located on our Continental ground in Arch Springs, only 3 miles from our Hunting fields. The Manor House offers 5 bedrooms, 3 queen beds, 1twin bed, and 1 queen sofa/bed. This house was built in 1805 and has been completely restored with 4 1/2 baths, laundry, Central Air, and full kitchen.

The Mill House, built in 1799, offers 3 bedrooms with 1 queen bed, 2 twin beds, and 1 full bed. This house also offers 2 full baths, laundry, and full kitchen.

These houses offer a perfect place for you and your hunting guests to stay while enjoying a couple days of fine wingshooting."
Lodging
Manor House

Lodging
Mill House
One thing I do know from going on several out of state guided trips is that some operations will promise you the world just to get you to book and then not be able to deliver. This certainly wasn't the case with J.D. Kelly, the owner of Spring Lane Hunt Club as he delivered on everything he promised and then some. After visiting and interviewing many different pheasant hunting operations the decision was easy. J.D. was eager and excited to host this event and take care of our every need as well as provide the best location, habitat and shear number of birds of any operation we spoke too and visited.

Taking A Tour
J.D. Kelly, owner of Spring Lane Hunt Club , takes myself, Don Ott and Frank Litavish for a tour of his farm. I was a little concerned about falling out the back, but J.D. promised he would let me know when I need to hang on!
J.D. who worked and guided in South Dakota for years, couldn't stress enough about the habitat that they work so hard to provide for their birds. With over 600 acres on the farm, it is all managed with the birds in mind. The farm itself couldn't be located in a more picturesque part of central Pennsylvania, located between two mountain sides and farm land as far as the eye can see.
Scenery
After arriving at the farm on Friday afternoon, J.D. took us on a tour and showed us where we would be hunting the next day. I was overwhelmed by the beauty and amount of land that we would be hunting with a wide variety of habitat and food sources. I think the only thing that could have made it better was a hunt in the prime of autumn when the leaves are so colorful. I can only imagine how those mountainsides light up with fall colors.
Habitat
Habitat
After a good night's sleep at the Manor House and Mill House we were ready to meet our forum moderators and have a great day hunting. Everyone arrived at the farm by 6:45 am so we could get started with the hunt between 7:00 am and 7:30 am. J.D.'s family and staff provided a wonderful breakfast and really went out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. After a brief introduction with some words of safety in the field from J.D., we were split in our groups and ready to hunt.

Group Befor Hunt
Field Staff and Moderators early in the morning before the hunt.
I had the good fortune of hunting with Teresa Patterson, Kyle Schwabenbuaer and J.D. Kelly was our guide. Sounds like a great group, but a lot of pressure on me hunting with the owner and two seasoned shotgunners. I haven't hunted for small game or pheasants in over 20 years so needless to say, I was a bit concerned if I would be able to hit anything.

Co-Host & JD
Me, Teresa Patterson, Kyle Schwabenbauer and J.D. Kelly after a great morning spent with good people and great friends.
I grew up hunting with rabbit dogs my entire childhood, mostly beagles, and have never had the opportunity to hunt with bird dogs. I now know why some of you are obsessed with your bird dogs. These dogs were amazing and a beautiful thing to watch! I think I could have spent the day just watching the dogs work and not even shooting anything, it was that impressive.
Kyle and Teresa got on the board first and I had not yet been tested, but my time would soon come. Within a few yards from where Teresa scored on her first bird, I got my chance and fortunately was able to take my first bird. I now felt a sense of relief that I was still capable of shooting after all those years. Well to make a long story short, near the end of the hunt I was 5 for 5 and really feeling quite cocky. It is amazing how one goes from being so humble to really feeling like something special. I am sure Teresa and Kyle could elaborate more. Each hunter was allowed 5 birds and I said to J.D., "Well that is it for me" and I was ready to hang it up for the day and just walk along, but J.D. said, "Why don't you just finish out this stretch," so I, not being one to go against the hosts wishes, complied.
At this point and time J.D. decided to get in my head and I know Teresa and Kyle were more than ready for me to miss one, and you guessed it, the sixth one that went out was a clean miss on a very easy shot. That is what you get for getting to cocky and obnoxious!

Group Final
End of the day photo with all the guides, PSP field staff and moderators
The entire event was an absolute blast and I can't think of a more appropriate way to spend the day with all the field staff and moderators from the PSP.
If you couldn't already tell, I can't say enough about J.D. Kelly and Spring Lane Hunt Club. On the way home my cousin Mike asked me how I would rate the day and I didn't hesitate to say, "It was a 10, out of the ballpark homerun," and that is all thanks to J.D. and his staff. Whether you are looking for a company outing, a romantic weekend getaway with the Mrs, or some time with friends, I would highly recommend Spring Lane Hunt Club!
You can visit the Spring Lane Hunt Club website at www.SpringLaneHuntClub.com for more information on their operation and hunts.

No comments:

Post a Comment