Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year's In With A Bang






Well it was the first day of the New Year and it seemed much nicer and calmer than the day before. New Year’s Eve we had 47 mph wind gusts and it was cold and nasty.  After spending a fruitless effort in the morning trying to hunt deer, in frustration we left in an attempt to perhaps change our luck hunting waterfowl in the afternoon.
Don and I changed, packed up the guns and Drake and figured we would probably do best on the big rivers. So we headed off for the first waterfowl hunt of 2009.  We get about 15 miles from home and we pull out from a light and hear a noise in the back. Don asks if my gun is hitting the door in the back.  He braked then slowly started forward. Well…I just KNEW the sound wasn’t my gun!  I just didn’t want to say what I thought it was thinking that maybe…just maybe…I could be wrong. Don pulled over in a nearby vacant parking lot and gets out. I just knew what he was going to say……”Oh great! Flat tire!”  Yep…I knew it. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Our flat tire

Well, Don has gotten really good at this tire changing thing. Believe it or not we have had a couple flat tires for some reason over the past few years. Don proceeds to change the tire while Drake and I look on. Drake doesn’t seem to be amused by this all because it cuts into his hunting time. But he patiently sits and watches Don change the tire. (If only dog’s could talk!)
Our flat tire

Our flat tire

The spare tire…well it was little to be desired. We were hoping we would just make it home to change vehicles.  So this wasted a good hour off our hunt time but we managed to laugh about it. The only one who didn’t seem amused was Drake.

Our first stop we set up where we know the geese tend to frequent in the afternoon. Don was up river a little and Drake and I down from him.  In looking at the water it was higher than normal and swift. I knew it was going to be a chore for Drake to retrieve. The geese were going to float down fast. After only a short wait we had geese coming in.  They were in between Don and I but landed closer to me.  I let off one shot and dropped 2 birds…a double…they quickly retreated up river to Don where I hear his rapid fire echoing.  I had already released Drake on the birds. Anxiously hoping he could retrieve the birds without too much problem. Well, Drake is smart. He actually ran down river and swam out against the current. He waited until the birds came to him and brought it to the bank.
Drake


He then headed down river and back out for the second bird. This time we were already almost 100 yards down from where I had shot the birds. The current was really swift. But he retrieved the second bird and was as proud as could be!   Just then I hear Don behind me and look out and there was his goose he shot up river, floating down the opposite side.  Drake sees it and goes down river again and swims out. The current is REALLY fast out in the middle. He makes it to where the goose is headed turns towards the goose and just starts treading water…not going anywhere…just treading and waiting for the bird to come to him. Finally the wait seemed like forever but was only minutes the bird is retrieved and he starts back. Don heads down further because he know that is where the current is going to take him. Believe me I would be lying if I say I wasn’t a little worried. That water was COLD and fast!  Drake made it out down river right to Don and was again so proud of himself!
Drake retrieving

Drake retrieving Don's bird



Don and Drake

We gather up and decide to head to another farm along the river we have permission to hunt and see what luck we have there.  Again we set up and decided it would be best to split up a little so we could keep any birds we encountered moving a little and each have a chance to shoot.
This time it was ducks. Common Mergansers everywhere. This time they landed closer to Don’s location and again shots ring out. He yells for Drake and I release him and off he runs up the field to his location. Don unloaded on a drake and twisted it and turned it and only to drop the hen behind it. They flew high and wide and I never got a shot off at them.  Drake was able to retrieve his duck very easily.  It dropped a shorter distance and more shallow water in the river.  Shortly after a small flock of 9 geese came my way.  I was in a wide part of the river and right in the middle directly in front of me. I shot and dropped another. Drake went off and the current was moving quick. Drake and the bird were moving fast down river. I could barely see him or the bird with the sun reflecting in the water.
Drake

Drake retrieving my goose about 80 yards down the river

Don came down and quickly moved down the river . Drake got the goose and we knew he would be coming out about 100 yards down river so we both headed his way.  He made it to the bank and wouldn’t turn the bird over to Don but headed right towards me with his prize!
Drake

Drake bringing my goose to me

By this time it was already after 4 PM and we decided we better head home.  We took a few pictures and headed back. Drake made 4 VERY long retrieves in very cold fast water for the geese and one for the duck.
Teresa and Drake

Don and Drake

Teresa and Drake

In all we had a great day laughing and watching our dog make some awesome retrieves. We didn’t do too bad in our day’s take with a short amount of time that we had. Drake was more than compensated for his time lost during the tire change. By the time we were a few miles down the road he was literally sleeping standing up!
Drake

A very tired...but happy dog!


Drake


At this point Drake doesn't seem too amused by the camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment