Monday, December 24, 2007

Why Do I (We) Hunt?

My son and I were sitting at home one evening watching a hunting show on television and he looked at me and said, "Mom...why do you hunt?”

This is the question that I feel every person who is new to the sport, or is a seasoned veteran, must continually ask himself or herself. Every person will probably respond in a different way to this question. The answer however, must come from down deep inside of the individual and at times will probably conjure up a passionate response.

MY personal response to my son went something like this; I hunt because I truly enjoy the sport. I love being in the woods well before dawn and watch the woods come to life all around me when the sun rises. I sit and admire the other animals I share the woods with on any given day.

Scenery



Scenery



Geese




The annoying cackle of the crows. The sound of geese circling their favorite feeding grounds or in travel is always a welcomed sound. The squirrels and chipmunks that scamper around looking for food. It’s as if they are keeping me company or entertaining me while I await my quarry. Also, the sudden thunder of a “Boss” turkey in the spring can get the blood pumping in even the hardiest seasoned hunter. I like hearing and seeing two bucks sparring for dominance. Hearing the whistling wings of ducks flying by at Mach 10. Watching my dog in the field that is truly passionate about the outdoors himself. Or seeing the many beautiful sunsets or sunrises.

Sunset



But one of the greatest things to me, as a hunter is in the fall. Hearing the distant footsteps growing closer and closer or the sudden appearance of a buck approaching my stand. It’s at this time I feel truly alive! My heart starts pounding I believe the deer themselves must hear it. I have to calm myself down....confirm the target...pick a spot and make a quick, clean humane shot. Then the moment of truth. Everything is perfect, the wind, the shot, I am in control and I have to ask myself the question.......Do I shoot? If I shoot my season is over. If I don’t this buck, provided he makes it through the seasons, may be larger next year. So, I decide to pass on the shot and remain in the stand for the rest of the day.

I then realize that this deer passed within my shooting range that I did everything right to get the shot. I choose not to shoot and enjoy the wildlife that pass my way the remainder of the day. I keep reminding myself that tomorrow is another day and the story starts again. This is why I hunt!

Teresa



As hunters, no, as true sportsman and woman we all have similar stories to share. But one thing we can say is a constant. We aren’t in it for the “kill”. We are in it for the true enjoyment of the sport. Being a part of the great outdoors. The excitement of trying to harvest animals that are so well adapt to eluding us. Making memories with family and friends.

To be a TRUE sportsman and woman we need to enjoy every trip afield. Take care of the animals we pursue. Help improve the habitat of the animals we hunt. Only take what we can use or are lawfully permitted. Help defend and positively promote the sport. Cherish the time in the field and hope to conserve it for our children. Teach them this and hopefully they will want to continue on these ways. After all the future of our sport depends on the children. So the best thing we can do as hunters is try and pass on our good ethics and traditions to the youth.

This is my personal code of ethics. This is why I hunt.

Teresa's Son



After a minute or two I asked Jimmy, “So why do you hunt?” His response, “I like being with you and Pap and Don, and my Uncles and friends, and DIDO what you said Mom.” I have enjoyed most, watching my son conduct himself in such a way this past hunting season with the Mentor Youth program, that does not make me doubt for a moment his ethics and passion for the sport.

I hope all of you have a passion deep down in you that helps to promote our sport positively. Our kids need the example. Our children need to realize the sport isn’t easy. And you don’t have to bag your quarry to be successful. You just have to have a passion and an appreciation for the outdoors. That itself is a success. Teresa

I have included some pictures of my trips afield.
Scenery

Scenery



No comments:

Post a Comment