Monday, December 3, 2007

My Son’s First Opening Day

The PGC Mentor Youth program allowed me another opportunity and another special time spent with my son on the opening day of PA rifle season.

It all started with the “Hunting Camp” experience. Jimmy’s friend Cody and his dad Jim came up to hunt at my brother’s property in Cambria County. This is one of our “hunting camps”. My son I think was looking forward to the preparation and camaraderie of hunting camp as much as the possibility of harvesting a buck. Sunday he went up to Camp with my father, “Pap”. I was at home I guess doing “Mom” things. Washing hunting clothes, packing lunches for Monday, running to pick up extra hand warmers and things of the sort. Jimmy and Cody shot their BB guns in the woods behind camp. Practicing their aim on leaves hanging in trees. Jimmy explained they were practicing ‘Their Eye” and aim. Then they were off to the woods to put up ground blinds in preparation of Monday’s weather. Each child went with the other to visit their Hunting spot and help with the blind. My dad said they had the best time and all they talked about was dreams of their first buck and “what ifs” that may happen first day.

Jimmy and Cody
Left, Jimmy and Cody at Camp.


Upon returning home, Jimmy told me about his “camp” experience, and his hopes of he and Cody harvesting a deer. He then prepared his rifle and shells in a case. Then off to pack his own backpack. He had his flashlight, extra gloves, warm hat, snacks and JUST IN CASE Tums and Tylenol GO Tabs. Because as he explained, “If I get sick then I won’t have to leave the woods.” Like that would happen. If he were sick he would be leaving the woods, I would be sure of that. But I went with it. Then of course, he needed his Hunter Specialties spray and scent wafers. Got have them. He then sharpened his knife for like the 3rd time in a week. That was all packed. What about hand and toe warmers Mom? He took a handful and packed them. Right to bed and I could so remember the night before my first time out for deer hunting. Not sleeping and nervous. It was worse than the night before Christmas.

We arose early the next morning and headed up the mountain. I had gotten jimmy a Medalist rain gear jacket and it arrived a day before Thanksgiving and he needed it that day. It was a little foggy and raining. We got to Camp and chatted a short time before we all headed out with anticipation. We got to our blind and sat waiting until break of dawn. Well dawn came and went and no sign, sound of a deer. But Jimmy was making the best of it. Not once did I look at him and he not smile back. There were very little gunshots and they were far off in the distance. Suddenly we hear a close shot and Jimmy had the gun up on his homemade rest (compliments of Pap!) and was ready. He looked at Pap and me and whispered with wide eyes, “I’m getting ready, they might have missed!” About 10 minutes later we saw one deer moving into the area. Jimmy saw it and was on the deer through the scope before we even said anything. He slowly moved his head and looked up and said, “It’s a real nice doe.” My heart sank. Then Jimmy turned with a big smile and said, “That was so cool! That was the first deer I ever had in my crosshairs. Too bad it wasn’t a buck or I would have had him.” I looked at my dad and I think we were both thinking the same thing. “Wow!” How great to have an 11-year-old kid make such a positive spin on something some adults let alone kids would think was a disappointment. Not to mention how Jimmy handled the gun when he saw the deer and was on it in the scope within seconds. It was like he had been hunting for years rather than his first time deer hunting. Perhaps it was the Mentor Youth program allowing us to take him out for ground hog and squirrel. Maybe it’s all the practice at the range and at the camp with the “leaf targets”, or maybe it is just born in him. A desire like myself, my parents, brothers and Don all have had all our lives.

Jimmy sat from predawn until dark. He fell asleep a few times for a moment here and there and we laughed when he woke up.

Nap Time
Jimmy on one of his naps. We joked around saying he looked like a Christmas favorite in this picture.....Ralphie from Christmas Story. Jimmy doesn’t like his old glasses but they sure help him in the woods and he is a trooper in wearing them!


We never saw another deer that day in the woods. When we got back to the vehicle he made a call to his Grandmother and told her he was out ok and how it was the AWESOME! In his words, “Grandma it was great! I loved it. It was the longest I ever was in the woods. Me and mom and Pap had a great day. And this Medalist coat and stuff my mom got me is TWO THUMBS UP! I am completely dry underneath. Everyone else had to change their clothes I just took off my coat and pants and am dry underneath. But I loved it and can’t wait until I go again!” Music to my ears! I was so proud of him and his outlook. The same outlook I try to have each time I go out. The one I wanted so much for him to acquire. It’s not about what getting your limit or harvesting your quarry every time out. It’s the experience, appreciating the beauty of the land and animals God gave us, the camaraderie and the memory of a time shared with family and friends. For my 11 year old son to sit all day in the woods and see only one deer and then WANT to go out again. That to me is amazing.

Grandpa
Jimmy and Pap.


Mother and Son
Jimmy and I coming out of the woods in our Medalist gear.


We arrived back at camp only to find out that one close shot we heard was made by John who had harvested his second buck ever. John was sitting in a stand with my brother Ben when Ben saw 4 deer running out through the field and when he saw one was a buck he had John switch him places and take the shot knowing John had only ever harvested one other buck hunting. Ben has been fortunate to have harvested many bucks over the years. John made a phenomenal shot and got an awesome 8 pointer. Congrats again to John (AKA Jeremiah Johnson). And my brother Ben, again showing his unselfishness and demonstrating a good sportsman by allowing John to take a shot. This is the type of people I like to surround myself and Jimmy around when hunting.

John's Buck


John’s buck


Cool Buck
This buck had a really cook rack!


I am looking forward to taking Jimmy out the first weekend and some evenings in hope of he being able to harvest his first PA buck. Even though he may not be successful I look forward to sharing good quality time with my son and making another memory to look back on. I hope you all had an opportunity to make some favorable memories this season with family or friends. Good luck with your pursuit and God Bless! Until next time!

Teresa

The Whole Gang
Everyone from Camp who hunted up there first day.
Left to right. Front row, Cody Carbaugh, Jimmy and John Lubert.
Back row, my brother Ben, my Dad (“Pap”), my nephew Trevor, myself and Cody’s dad, Jim.

No comments:

Post a Comment