Monday, December 24, 2007

Thoughts From Our Recent TripTo Erie

So many times, we as outdoorsmen and women get so caught up with the size and quality of the targeted trophy, we tend to forget about the real meaning of what makes the outdoors special.  When I hunt or fish, my goal is to achieve what I set out to do… see animals and catch fish!  The last couple of years my desire to be successful hasn’t diminished, but time spent outdoors has taken on a different meaning to me.  A great example of this change of philosophy can be shown in this trip to Erie steelhead fishing.

Jason Landing One
Jason Taking Time To Pose While Landing a Steelhead and Shawn in the Background

The wheels were set in motion to go steelhead fishing by my brother Shawn and my Cousin Jason.  They were talking about going to Erie on Monday and decided to move it back a day to include me because of my work conflicts on Monday.  Both Jason and Shawn called me last week and we planned on going up on Tuesday Dec 18th.  If I were reading this, I would probably be thinking big deal, so they moved the trip back a day to include me.  Well to me it was a big deal because they both had to work the day following the trip.  Jason had a 4 hour trip and my brother had a 3.5 hour trip to make it back to work the following morning.  As I was setting at home that evening, I was thinking how lucky I was to have these and many other great people to share outdoor pursuits with.

I know Jason already wrote a journal on this trip so I just wanted to touch on the high points that weren’t mentioned in his article.  First, before even touching the bank of the creek we had to wade through an icy beaver pond (not an easy task).  A 250 lb fat boy isn’t exactly a picture of grace in neoprene waders, so of course I ended up on my hands and knees, not once, but twice going through that pond (look at the sleeves in my pictures).  The soft bottom and the thin layer of ice didn’t help things, and of course I didn’t bring an extra pair of gloves.  Luckily, Jason had an extra pair and possibly saved my fishing trip (it was 21-29 degrees that day).  Thanks for the gloves Jason!

Wet Sleeves
You can see my wet sleeves and this photo was at the end of the day!

Another part of the trip conveniently left out was the scenery pictures from the top of a train tressel.  Neither Shawn or Jason are especially fond of heights and my decision to take pictures didn’t go over well.  I was in the lead so neither Jason or Shawn could get around me.  I don’t believe they wanted me to stop and take pictures, but I took my time and enjoyed the moment of their sheer panic, and got some very nice photos to boot.   Please don’t think I’m evil as I probably get more than I give when I’m around those two.

Shawn Crossing A Bridge
Shawn Crossing the Bridge.  He isn't to fond of heights.

Jason Crossing the Bridge
Jason Was Claiming That He Was Getting Sick From The Height???

Even though I have caught many more fish on the tribs, I can’t remember a more enjoyable time on those waters.  Overall, this trip was a great success and I hope it is the first of many for us.  We have fished together many times, but never in Erie, and never for steelhead.  I learned a great deal from fishing with these two on this trip including how to tie and fish a dropper fly, and different presentations used in different holes.  I am a novice fly fisherman and enjoy watching others and hopefully learn to become a better fisherman overall.  Thank you guys for allowing me to be a part of this trip and I hope to meet you on the tribs again soon.



I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  Good luck on your outdoor adventures and be safe.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment