Monday, November 19, 2007

First Steelhead Fishing Of The Year

This fall has been unusually warm and dry with near drought conditions through October in Erie.  The steelhead season has suffered.  The once fast flowing waters of the Lake Erie Tributaries were little more than a trickle throughout much of October.  I had been itching to get up there to fish for steelhead, but with reports of low clear waters, few fish and many anglers, I decided to stay away.  On November 8th, I was at my house making a plan for an evening archery doe hunt and a thought crossed my mind…  With the recent rains, I wondered what kind of shape the creeks were in Erie.  After a few phone calls, and a little research, my decision was made.  The word I received was the water was up and a little off colored.  The locals suspected there was a nice run of fresh fish making it into the Tribs.  At 10:30 am I was packed up and on my way to Erie.

Steelhead



My first stop as I entered Erie was to Lake Erie Ultimate Angler on West 12th Street.  I needed to pick up a couple tapered leaders and weights before hitting the streams.  After driving to several spots on Elk, I found a stretch that didn’t look as busy as the rest of the areas.   This isn’t to say I was all alone, as fishing for steelhead in the fall isn’t typically a sport of solitude.  I found a nice semi-deep run that usually held fish about a half mile from my truck which nobody was fishing.  This was where I spent the better part of the afternoon.  After a few weight, and fly changes, I had my first hit of the afternoon.  The only problem is that I didn’t see or feel this until I was lifting my fly rod to cast back upstream.  This scenario played out more times than I would like to admit until I made my first solid hook set of the evening.

Steelhead



After getting the first fish of the year (an 18 inch jack) under my belt, I continued to fish this same general area for the next couple of hours.  After a couple more hookups and fish landed, I decided to call it a day, and head back to my truck for the lengthy ride back home.  On my way back, I noticed a large pool (usually holding several fishermen) with nobody around.  I decided to take this rare opportunity to fish this hole alone, and ended up making a good day, a great day.  I possibly, had my best hour of fishing I have ever experienced in Erie as the fish were plentiful and hungry.  The flies of the day for me were a pick sucker spawn, and a chartreuse glo-bug… both size 12.  Most of the fish caught were relatively fresh with a couple of chromers, and all were full of fight.

Steelhead Fishing



If you haven’t had the opportunity to fish for steelhead in Erie, I would encourage anyone to give it a try.  One hookup with these powerful fish could get you addicted for life.  The fishery in Erie is incredible, and many people around the world visit to enjoy the great fishing this lake and its tributaries provide every year.   Good luck in all your late fall ventures and as always, be safe.

Mike Bell

No comments:

Post a Comment