Friday, June 1, 2007

ThermaCell Mosquito Repellent

Product Review by Mike Bell, PSP Staff
dilantin back pain
ThermaCell Mosquito Repellent





ThermaCell

Included in box
ThermaCELL unit
1 Butane Cartridge (lasts approx 12 hrs)
3 insect repellant mats (lasts approx 4 hrs each)


Some minor assembly involves screwing the butane cartridge into the bottom of the unit, and inserting a blue mat under the grill in front of the unit. Turn the unit on and hit the start button and you are up and running. To verify the unit is on, there is a lens on the top of the unit which shows a glowing coil.


COST

I purchased this unit for $22.95 and I also purchased a refill package (1 butane cartridge and 3 mats) for $7.95. These refill packages will give you approximately 12 hrs total protection.


ASSESMENT OF PRODUCT
When used as directed, this is one of the only mosquito repellants I’ve used that performs as promised. I have used this product everywhere from sitting on my back porch to turkey hunting, but I will tell you of the most extreme instance, in which I was glad I had this unit. I was on an Alberta Black bear hunt, and the mosquitos were terrible. When I say terrible, I mean they would literally blanket you within 5 minutes of being exposed. After being dropped off at my stand, I turned the unit on, swatted, smacked and smashed mosquitoes until I thought I was going to go crazy. After about 5 minutes, the ThermaCELL started kicking in and within 10 minutes there was not a mosquito in sight. I went on to have a pleasurable, and successful evening hunting, free of mosquitoes. When I arrived back at camp, I heard many nightmare stories. There were a couple of hunters that actually had to call their guide to come pick them up because they couldn’t stand the mosquitoes. We were back in the “bush” and hunters were offering their guides upwards of $150.00 to go back to town and pick them up a ThermaCELL, after seeing how well this unit worked in camp. Luckily, I had tagged out with 3 days left to hunt and gave my unit to another guy in our group. He was equally astounded at how well this unit worked, and killed a bear while using the ThermaCELL. If I were a betting man, I would wager every one of us in that camp now owns a ThermaCELL unit.


PRODUCT LIMITATIONS
Air travel can be dicey because of the butane cartridge. Also, extreme care must be taken as the grill on the front will get hot after a couple of minutes of use. The unit is rated for an area 15’ X 15’ or 225 square feet. This product does not work well while on the move and will decrease its effectiveness if it is very windy. The box says the mats are Odor Free, but I notice a slight odor especially in the first few minutes of starting the unit. I have hunted deer, turkey, and bear with this unit and haven’t seen the unit’s odor have any effect on the animals I’ve hunted. Finally the cost can be significant at 6-7 dollars per 12 hours of use.


RECOMMENDATIONS
If you spend any time outdoors in a mosquito area, you must purchase one of the units. Though a bit pricy, this cordless and portable system is by far the most effective mosquito repellant I’ve ever used.

No comments:

Post a Comment