Thursday, June 14, 2007

Let the Games Begin

.!.

Over the last couple of weeks, my trail cameras have been clicking away and there’s been a lot of activity in the local woodlots. Most of the bucks in southwest PA started dropping their velvet a couple of weeks ago and I’ve noticed some rubs popping up along the well-used trails. It’s been fun trying to get photos of some of the bucks I’ve been watching with the spotlight.


*Please note all trail camera photos were captured along trails without the use of baits or attractants.


Trail cam photos
I think these two photos show the same buck, before and after he shed his velvet.


Few late Night Bucks
A few late-night Allegheny County bucks


More Bucks
I’d love to see this guy from my stand on opening day!; This week was the first time I’d seen this 10-point with the split G2 on his left side.


The cooler evening temperatures really get my blood pumping and it seems to do the same for the bucks. I witnessed a few heated sparring matches this week and the bachelor groups that were common in August are starting to break up.


Fighting Bucks
With the colder weather this week, these two bucks in Beaver County decided it was time to tangle.


I also managed to get out last Saturday for another goose hunt in Clarion County. I knew this outing would be a good one because we had lots of guys who were eager to go along after my brother, Corry, located a flock that was regularly landing in an alfalfa field. The field wasn’t visible from any roads, so we were confident we’d have the spot to ourselves.


We got there early since we had a long walk from the truck. We loaded the decoys onto our custom-built decoy cart, which is nothing more than a retrofitted pull cart for golf clubs. It’s not something you’ll ever see in a sporting goods catalog, but it gets the job done. After setting out a dozen decoys, we hid in the bordering rows of corn, and we didn’t have to wait long for the first flock to arrive.


Goose Hunting Gang
Our goose hunting gang included Dan, my brother Corry, me, my dad Tom, Buck, and Jake.


At 7:00, a dozen geese set their wings and descended toward our spread. For some reason, they didn’t commit and glided over the top of our decoys. Although they didn’t offer us the best shooting opportunity, we still managed to drop three from the group. A bit disappointed at the flock’s reluctance to land in front of us, we tuned our calls and hoped for a second chance.


We got that opportunity when we spotted a long string of birds on the horizon. At least 40 geese were flapping their way toward us. We cut loose with a series of pleading calls and waited behind the rustling corn stalks. The lead geese locked in on our location and began diving toward the decoys. They were only about five feet from the ground when I heard the first shotgun blast. I swung on the bird closest to me, but it folded before I could squeeze the trigger. I moved to the next bird, but encountered the same result. On the third try, I managed to harvest a bird of my own, but the remainder of the flock made a quick exit before I could take any others.


Goose Hunting
Corry was convinced that his favorite Foiles goose call had played a large part in our success; Our homemade decoy cart made the long walk a lot easier.


I think everyone harvested a goose that morning, but more importantly, I know we all enjoyed spending some time outdoors with our friends and family members. Hunts are always better when you can share the experience with others. I’m sure we’ll all be thinking of that hunt the next time life’s responsibilities keep us from the field. Until next time, I hope you’re all out making some memories of you own!

No comments:

Post a Comment