Monday, May 4, 2009

Merriam Madness






By Don Ott, Sportsmen Portal Field Staff
I received a phone call from Jason Say asking if I would be available to film Arianna's Hunt of a Lifetime. There would be a possibility I may have the opportunity to hunt Merriams in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It took no time for me to answer "Yes." I hung up the phone and got online and ordered my Non-resident license and broke out my credit card. My tag cost only $85.00.  I never dreamt that I would get to use it. Our main focus would be to get Arianna on film with her Merriam first, then possibly Jason. Being and avid turkey hunter I know the challenge we were about to face.  All in one week, that's a tall order.

Jason and I set out on public ground with the mindset that due to not being familiar with the area and having 8 to 10 inches of snow we would put on as many miles and cover as much terrain in an attempt to locate a few birds. In our course of travel we cut 5 sets of turkey tracks. Four of which were gobbler and one lonely hen track. I was thinking, "boy this doesn't look too promising!" Although I did see three of the four gobblers. But like all weary birds they saw me as soon as I saw them and the "turkey scurry" commenced.


south-dakota-084444441The Black Hills of South Dakota is very rocky with tall stands of Ponderosa Pines, not providing much ground cover. I decided to hunt above a peak of jagged rock that jetted out from the hillside on a bench that overlooked a mountain meadow. Earlier that morning, Jason and I watched 19 birds; two long beards, 8 jakes and 9 hens descend down the jagged rock point into the meadow below. They would respond to our calls, but had only one thing in mind. Getting to the food source.  The snow was melting and the meadow was green.


I know we heard two dozen gobblers as the darkness faded and turned into daylight. But all we could do was sit and watch. I peered over my shoulder at Jason and stated, "it wasn't going to happen". This wasn't something Jason was used to hearing. I think in a four day period I must of told him that a dozen times. He didn't understand why and would respond with "Then let's move and make it happen!" I would give him a look, shake my head and laugh. This time I stated, "You just can't move when you have birds all around us and birds at 60 yards. We need to sit still; wait until they descend further down the mountain . We can depart and set up a make-shift blind. Then maybe we can work some magic!"  We both agreed a blind needed to be built.


south-dakota-1821


We erected a blind from downed timber and some pine limbs. Set out a hen and jake decoy 30 yards behind us up the hill. Hoping to have a bird focus on the decoys allowing Jason to get the camera ready. We no sooner got in the blind when I gave out a few series of yelps and purrs with my "Joanie Haidle Beard Bustin' call" and one gobbled some 200 yards below. I called again and he cut me off. I looked at Jason and told him he was coming and to get ready.


One hour later, I see not one, but 8 gobblers strutting and chasing each other while calling violently to my calls. Finally with a few soft purrs, the birds turn and start our way. Approximately 25 minutes lapses and I hear wing beats and foot steps. Just some 30 yards below the point a big mature gobbler flies up into a tree and peers up toward our blind. He was attempting to see the hen that has been calling. I thought my heart would pound out of my chest!


At this point, Jason is getting tired of sitting and wants to move. I stated, "What? You can't move! They will bust us again and it's over!"  I slowly bent forward to pick up my glass call and coming around the big rock 40 yards out was a mature gobbler. He sees something he didn't like and turned to run. I stated to Jason, "To your right! Do you have the camera on him? I'm gonna have to take him!"  I shot and crushed the bird!  I couldn't believe I had just harvested a beautiful Merriam on the last day we could hunt.


south-dakota-1941


south-dakota-2021


Jason will tell you he is a novice turkey hunter. After 35 years of hunting birds, I still consider myself to be a novice. Because every bird is different and I'm still learning.



In Jason's defense, yes, we did get busted more times then we want to admit. But we really didn't have time to conceal our setups due to running and gunning, and having so much success with our calling.
Best advice, patience and concealment. What a magnificient hunt!

No comments:

Post a Comment