Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Son’s First Deer




I have been anxiously waiting for this hunting season to come upon us. My son Jimmy is twelve years old this season and has been able to officially pursue our passion right along side of us. Jimmy has been bitten by the hunting bug this year.



jimmy1.jpg
Opening day 2007 rifle season. Jimmy and I.



In the 2007 season, Jimmy was able to go out and hunt under the Mentor Youth Program. We took him ground hog hunting, squirrel, and deer hunting. Although he was only able to shot a buck under the Mentor program, the season was unsuccessful in harvesting his first buck. He sat patiently the 2007 season opener of rifle season in pouring down rain conditions ALL DAY only to see one doe; walked 6 miles total to one of our locations and sat numerous evenings with his pap with no avail. During these outings he realized it isn’t easy hunting PA whitetail. On one occasion he had a small doe approach he and his pap in the blind. Pap told him, “Just think Jimmy, next year you could shoot her.” Jimmy’s response was more mature than his 11 years…he stated, “No pap I wouldn’t shoot her. She’s a “Puffy head” She’d be bigger next year. “Puffy head” is Jimmy’s terminology for a young yearling doe. Wow! That alone made me proud of him. It says a lot that he respects wildlife and makes me feel good I have raised a responsible young hunter. My dad, Don and I gave up a lot of hunting time to take Jimmy out to try and harvest his first buck. However, Jimmy was still excited about turning 12 and in his words, “Hunting EVERYTHING!”



jimmy2.jpg



Well 2008 season opened with goose season. Jimmy was rearing to go. I was lucky to watch him down his first geese. He has managed to get a goose each outing.

Then came duck season. The Youth duck season came in and Jimmy was just beside himself with all the ducks flying around. He realized what a difference and how much faster the ducks were than the geese. He loved it though and was able to bag 2 mallards his first time out.

jimmy1.jpg



Jimmy, Don and Molly went out for the Youth Pheasant hunt. The birds were stocked 2 days prior, (which I think for a youth hunt wasn’t such a good idea!) and they covered almost the whole property with only one sighting of a hen far off that went into thick cover. But, again Jimmy had fun. He has handled himself very well, safely, ethically and respectfully in the field. I am glad he enjoys each trip afield even without harvesting quarry.

Snickers Goose Retrieve
Jimmy and Molly

Jimmy had gone out several times with his inline not to even have a sighting of a deer. Don and I were in Clarion County hunting with Jason and Andy Traister, so Jimmy made plans to go out hunting on Thursday with his Pap and his best friend Nick for the Youth Early Rifle Season. Jimmy got Nick interested in hunting. With all his stories of his trips afield, Nick longed to give it a try. Jimmy passed on the tradition of our sport to his buddy. Nick passed his Hunter Safety test, purchased his first license and convinced his father to go hunting as well. They have bought some guns and have been shooting and preparing for the upcoming rifle season. So this trip afield with Jimmy and Pap would be good experience for Nick too.

After sitting for about an hour, Jimmy and Pap saw two deer coming out of the wood line feeding towards their blind. Without being told, Jimmy had his gun up on his shooting stick and scope on the deer and determined the first doe out was the biggest and that was the one he was going to attempt to shoot. Even with his emotions peaking, Jimmy allowed the deer to move closer, within 20 yards to be exact. Now according to Jimmy this was by design. He had it all under control. Pap keeps telling him to shoot, but Jimmy had a tree in his view not clearing the deer totally of the vitals. Nick’s heart was beating so hard he thought the deer would hear it. Then the safety goes off and the gun fires. The deer ran off into the thicket. My dad then asked Jimmy if he was sure he hit her. Jimmy was POSITIVE! Jimmy states, “Pap I KNOW I hit her. I was holding just behind the shoulder.” Nick wasn’t sure what happened because he was holding his breath in an attempt to diffuse his heart from pounding. Not sure why he was feeling that way. After all he was just sitting there behind Jimmy on a crate, Jimmy was doing the shooting, but Nick felt like he had just run a marathon!

Well Pap thought they should wait a few minutes but before he could say a word, Jimmy and Nick were out of the blind looking for blood. They found it quickly, Jimmy turned and grinned at his Pap…knowing with the amount of blood he saw it was a good hit. They all followed the trail for a mere 35-40 yards and there she laid. JIMMY’s FIRST DEER!!! My dad was so proud of Jimmy and so happy to be able to witness his first grandchild harvest his first deer. Not to mention the fact that he knew…these two young boys were on the beginning of a journey to many memories and a bond that would last a lifetime with trips afield. Jimmy and Nick started taking pictures with their camera phones. Jimmy sent me a text message on my cell phone “Got 1” with a picture of him and dad and his deer. While sitting in the tree stand that evening I had that “feeling” that Jimmy was going to do well that night. When I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, I again had a feeling it was Jimmy. So I looked and when I saw his picture with is first deer, tears filled my eyes and you couldn’t have wiped the smile off my face! It was better than me shooting a big buck! I was so happy for Jimmy and so happy for my dad to be able to share such an experience with his grandson. Plus for Jimmy to have his best friend along for the ride…how cool is that?

Jimmy and Pop
Jimmy and my dad (Pap)


Jimmy and Nick
Jimmy and Nick


When we all got back to the vehicles we called Jimmy and had him on speaker phone to recap the story in his words. He was very happy and planning on what he wanted done with the meat!

Everyone should experience this type of enjoyment. If you haven’t taken the time to go afield with family, friends, or just someone that is willing to experience this great sport and one of God’s many gifts to us…stop and make plans for tomorrow. I am sure all of us can reflect back in time to our first deer or hunting trip. Recalling the feelings we had at the time. Introducing someone young or old to this magnificent sport will only bring back those fond memories and help to pass along our tradition. Ensuring it for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment