Friday, September 26, 2008

Exciting Time Of The Year






This is my favorite time of the year to be outdoors.  The anticipation for archery season is getting to be too much.  Last month has been busy including a fishing trip with the family, a great weekend get together with many people on this site, and preparing myself for the upcoming archery season.

Early in the month, we decided to take one last fishing trip to Lake Wilhelm before storing the boat for the winter.  The trip was relatively uneventful, but we did manage to catch a few small bluegill and perch.  On a side note, my sons rod and reel are sitting somewhere at the bottom of that lake.  He was reeling in a small panfish and the hook popped out of the fish’s mouth coming back at Nate.  His solution to the problem was to drop the rod and run.  We all had a good laugh and replaced the rod the next day.  Looking back on the spring and summer months, I had a great time fishing the many local lakes with my family and friends.

Nate Fishing



Nate Fishing
Nate's Monster Gill

There has been a lot written about Spring Lane Hunt Club, but I just want to add a few thoughts to the weekend.  This was the first time I had a chance to meet some of the staff and many of the moderators on this site.   I can honestly say there isn’t a better group of people anywhere.  As others have said, Spring Lane Hunt Club is a first class operation.  The lodges were beautiful, the owner and his guides were extremely friendly and helpful, and the dogs were awesome to hunt over.   I’ve had limited experience hunting pheasants or any birds for that matter, and I can honestly say I had a great time.  I now understand why so many people have a passion for bird hunting and their hunting dogs.

Spring Lane Hunt Club
My group for the day, AJ Johnson, Me, Rob McCoy, Frank Rodenbaugh and Andy Traister

Spring Lane Hunt Club
Our awesome guide for the day and his awesome dogs!

Archery season is almost upon us.  I enjoy the outdoors and all the outdoor sports but hands down, archery is my passion.  I love this time of year, and the anticipation for how the next couple of months might play out.  In this last month, I’ve been busy preparing myself for the upcoming season.  I’ve been shooting every evening and have made the switch from practice heads to my broadheads.  After a couple minor adjustments to my rest, my Slick Tricks are hitting exactly the same as my field points.  Broadhead flight had been a problem in my early archery experiences, but learning how to tune my bow and these low profile heads have made it much easier to get great results.

Shooting Bow



Slick Tricks
Slick Trick Broadheads

My Bow
My Matthews

Big Shot Archery Targets
My BigShot broadhead and field point targets

I had the opportunity to scout several areas we are going to hunt this archery season.  I found some good sign including rubs, a couple of scrapes, and good deer trails.  Though I don’t have any deer patterned, I am confident I will be hunting around deer and hopefully will get an opportunity this archery season.  My fixed stands were hung early this month, and my climber is ready to do some exploring in new areas.  Now it’s time to count down the days until the first archery hunt of the season.

Good luck, be safe, and enjoy the season

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment