Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Drake Is Back!

On Monday, July 14, 2008 we went down to Pat Nolan’s to pick up Drake and get a little training myself.

Let me say that actually these past three and a half months have gone by a lot faster than I thought. Jimmy and I were very excited to be getting Drake home though. We really looked forward to having his welcoming every time we arrived home and his companionship.

We arrived bright and early down at the ponds where Pat trains. Drake was as usual glad to see us and ready to go. Before we took Drake down to Pat, and even at first when he first got there, he had no interest in retrieving bumpers. Oh he may do it once but to get him to retrieve a bumper twice he found it totally boring. Now a live bird was another story. But this time was totally different. Drake WANTED to retrieve a bumper, a bird, anything…..just give him something out there to bring back!

Pond
One of Pat’s helpers out in a John boat throwing bumpers out for the dogs.


Pat started off with showing us the electronic collar we were getting for Drake. Pat uses these collars at his kennels, the dogtra e collar. He explained that the collars are not used to correct the dog in something they are doing wrong. Rather he uses the collar to teach the dog. In his words,” it’s like using a leash.” A little nick is like giving the dog a tug on a leash to show them what it is they are to do. In turn by the dog realizing “Oh this is what I am supposed to do…and I can do this!” actually brings out his natural God given talent what they were born to do. RETRIEVE! I haven’t seen a dog down at his place yet that doesn’t come out of the truck or someone’s vehicle that isn’t just looking to go retrieve something. Pat has a kind, patient, calming demeanor that works so well with these dogs. And best of all he explains things to you on your level. I am by no means on an advanced level in training dogs. So he always explains so easily in “my terms” and believe me it’s easy to take in the information that way! Jimmy and I had a lesson with Pat showing the proper time to use the collar. How Drake was trained and how to work with him on the Force Fetch, simple commands and the retrieve. Jimmy has it memorized like a book!

Drake Retrieving
Drake working a retrieve.


As I explained in my previous Journals about what lead me to taking Drake to Pat in the first place…Drake gets distracted after he brings the retrieve back. So he would drop the bird and go smell something or go greet someone, etc. Well I am so happy to say that Pat and his crew have Drake retrieving to hand. Just like he should. Pat did say that he won’t be perfect because he doesn’t know of too many dogs that are ever perfect all the time. Drake does need to be reminded from time to time with a “nick” on the collar but he showed me when and how. After Pat helped me with working Drake on some simple force fetch exercises and retrieves. I felt very comfortable with using the collar the right way. So we headed home with Drake.

Drake
Drake watching another dog on retrieve.


I am pleased to say that Drake has been doing great even after we are home. He realizes that “Ok Pat and Linda and Annie made me do what is right…but so does Mom, Dad and Jimmy. So this is how it’s to be.” Drake will literally pick up anything I ask him to “fetch” and he is happy doing it.

We took Drake for a photo shoot on Tuesday by a pond with LOTS of distractions and I am so pleased to say that he behaved like a dream. He came when called, sat when told, fetched and worked in the water and on land just like he was meant to. As a reward for his good behavior during the shoot he got to retrieve in a field and on the water. He loved it!

I am hoping to be able to get a day off soon so Drake and I can return for a day with Pat. He is going to show us some casting drills to enhance Drake’s training. In fact I hope to return to Pat from time to time and possibly send Drake for a “tune-up” before we head off to our snow goose hunt in Missouri next March.

He is happy to be home and we are happy to have him back. He seems like he just knows what he is all about now. Everything makes sense to him. He looks great and I couldn’t be more pleased. Special thanks to Pat and the crew at Ponderosa Kennels for taking such good care of our boy Drake.

Well we will be continuing the training and putting it all together here the next month to get ready for opening day of PA Resident Goose season. Be sure to stay tuned on how Jimmy does his first waterfowl season and how Drake does retrieving all our downed birds. Until next time!

Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment