Friday, March 28, 2008

Spring Trip To Steelhead Alley

Recently I had the opportunity to make a trip to Erie with a couple of coworkers/ friends of mine.  We made plans last week and finalized them on Easter.  I would drive separate and meet Scott and Steve at the Elk Creek access.  Before arriving, I made a stop at a local bait store to get some leaders and talk with the owner.  The news was not good. He said the tribs needed water and they haven’t had a fresh run for some time.  Though I didn’t like what I heard at the bait shop, I was still looking forward to fishing with Scott and Steve.  My hope for this trip was to see Steve land his first steelhead.  He had made the trip once before, but unfortunately the tribs were blown out and he didn’t have the opportunity to fish.

Rigging Up
Scott and Steve Gearing Up For Steelhead Action

I have fished with Scott several times, and he just flat out knows how to catch fish.  He is one of those outdoorsmen who knows how to get it done whether it’s elk hunting out west, archery hunting for whitetail, turkey hunting, or fishing for any species in PA.  Beyond this, he is just a good guy to be in the outdoors with.

COld Outside
Man, is it cold out!


We met at the access, and decided to fish a section of stream which held many fish earlier this year.  Upon arrival, we were surprised to find we would be the only people fishing this area.  I remember thinking this could either be very good or very bad, and was confused as to why nobody was around.  The weather was bitter cold and windy, but the stream had good color and decent flow.  The first spot we fished was a large slow hole below a train trestle.  It wasn’t long after we got our lines wet, that Steve coaxed a nice hen into hitting his yellow egg sack.  After a relatively short battle, Steve landed his first steelhead!  I took a couple pictures, offered congrats and soon we were back fishing.  Steve no sooner got back into the water and had his second steel in the net.  Things went dead for a while and Scott switched to live minnows.  This proved to be the right move as both Scott and Steve took turns catching fish up until the time we left.  At one point it was a hookup every four casts or less with several doubles.

Steve's FIrst STeelhead
Steve's First Steelhead


Scott's Steelhead
Scott's First Steelhead of the Day

Another Steelie


More action


More Steelies



My contribution to the trip included one steelhead and a couple suckers.  I tried everything from egg patterns to minnow imitations but the steelhead (with the exception of one) just weren’t interested in my flies.  Although I didn’t have a great day catching fish on a personal level, it was a great time fishing with friends and sharing a first steelhead experience.  Congrats Steve!

Mike's Sucker
My Big Catch of the Day - Sucker!


As the bait shop owner reported, the fish have been in the streams a while, and most had the cuts, sores, and scars to prove it.  Several of the hens caught were full of eggs and a couple were spawned out.  There were a few clean semi bright fish caught, but no chromers.

Train Crossing
Train Crossing the Bridge While We Were Fishing

The cold was getting to me after a few hours, so I decided it was time to call it quits.  I went over to Trout Run to see if I could get a few photos of steelhead in this little stream.  Trout run is nursery water that is off limits to fishermen (except at the mouth of the stream in Lake Erie).  In the fall, Trout Run can literally be black with huge fish and can sometimes draw quite a crowd.  The following are a few pictures of my visit to Trout Run.

Trout Run
Trout Run Nursery Water

Trout Run



More Of Trout RunTrout Run
Enjoy the outdoors and be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment