Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Ice is Nice!

Like most of the hardwater anglers in PA, I was anxiously awaiting the arrival of solid ice so I could get out of the house and do some fishing. The reports of two, then three, and finally four inches of clear ice couldn’t come soon enough. Some folks say that two inches is thick enough to hold fishermen, but personally, I’m not comfortable until there’s at least four inches.

Ice Fishing
The first layer of ice at Kahle Lake in Clarion County; Six inches of clear ice is more than enough to ensure safe angling opportunities.


My hopes were high as I set out with a truck load of gear on my first trip of the year. Lake Arthur in Butler County was my destination, and I’d had good luck there in the past. Ice fishing can be tough, and despite my optimism that day, I got completely skunked. The only fish I took home were the shiners I brought for bait. Still, I was happy for the excursion and my cabin fever was beginning to subside.

Ice Fishing
Yellow perch are a favorite among ice fishermen; A spring bobber helps with detecting light bites.


My next trip to the lake was a windy day, so I spent most of my time in the shanty with my jigging rod. The fish were pretty tight-lipped, but I still managed to coax a few decent bluegills with some waxworms. I also caught a small crappie on a tip-up baited with a minnow, but the rest of my flags flew low.

Ice Fishing
A look inside my ice shanty; Trap doors allow easy access to the ice below.


An ice shanty can be a real blessing if the weather is foul, and since I bought mine last year, I’ve been able to spend more hours on the lake than I ever would have without it. Most of the new models can be assembled in a couple of minutes and fold up into compact sleds. If you’re thinking of buying one, check the sporting goods stores for end-of-season sales in March.

Ice Fishing
A tip-up stands at the ready for what lurks below; Vince Hoover holds up a small northern pike from Lake Arthur.


I hoped the “third time’s a charm” rule would hold for my next trip to the lake, and I wasn’t disappointed. My friend Vince and I arrived at the lake just before sunrise as a storm front approached on the horizon. Shortly after setting out two rows of tip-ups, the flags began to fly. Within the first hour, we landed several bass, including a couple of keepers, as well as a nice perch. The bluegill were also feeding and kept us busy between sprints to waving flags.

Ice Fishing
A sprung flag will bring anglers running; Hot soup makes a great shanty lunch.


I’ve always found ice fishermen to be some of the friendliest individuals I’ve encountered in the field. One such example was a fellow we met that day named Jeff. He complimented us on our choice of locations and kindly asked if he and his sons could fish nearby. We had no problem sharing our spot and welcomed them to join us. After getting set up, Jeff fired up his grill and cooked us all hot sausage sandwiches. That was the first time I’d ever had a complete stranger bring me breakfast, and it just goes to show the caliber of folks you’re likely to meet on the ice.

Ice Fishing
Keeping gear organized is easier with a bucket modified with PVC pipe (design credit goes to the Fertigs Ice Team); A nearby angler named Mick landed these two trophies in the shallows of Lake Arthur.


The flags kept flying into the afternoon, and although I wasn’t keeping track, I know we landed over 15 bass and also a small northern pike. Another nearby angler named Mick also had a fantastic day, hauling in 18 bass and a nice northern. His largest bass was 23” long and weighed 6 ½ pounds. He said it was his largest bass to date, and I was happy to snap a few photos for him.

Ice Fishing
Largemouth bass often fall victim to a tip-up rigged with a shiner; A few keepers taken from Lake Arthur


The current weather forecast is calling for more cold temperatures and most of the local lakes should allow for hardwater opportunities well into March. If you’ve never tried ice fishing, it’s a great way to ward off cabin fever and pass the time until the turkeys start talking. Good luck and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment